Thursday, October 1, 2009

Autumnal Coziness


Fall really hit yesterday in NYC.  As soon as I stepped outside and felt the autumn chill brush my cheeks, I began craving warm soup.  I thought about going down to the Greenmarket at Union Sq. to pick up some butternut squash and onions for a roasted squash soup (with heavy cream, of course).

Instead, I wondered if some of my favorite raw foodists might have something to offer that's just as delicious and comforting.  I poked around one of my favorite blogs by the talented and vivacious Kristen Suzanne and came across her Harvest Soup recipe.  This is JUST what I had in mind.  The preparation was incredibly simple and I had most of the ingredients on hand already.

The thing about autumn and winter is that when cold weather hits, I crave warm foods.  Many raw cook books suggest that soups be heated by leaving the blender running a bit longer when pureeing the ingredients.  The residual heat from the motor warms the liquid.  The problem is that I really like to control the texture of my soups and sometimes like the chunkiness.  To solve this problem I simply blended the soup to my desired consistency and then transfered it to a saucepan fitted with a candy thermometer.  This way I was able to monitor the temperature and keep it under (approximately) 118 degrees.

The soup was delicious and oh so satisfying.  Kristen suggests adding 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.....and really, how could I turn that down?

1 comment:

  1. The link to Kristen Suzanne's Harvest Soup Recipe has been fixed...thanks Mom!

    ReplyDelete