Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Morning Smoothie


As I mentioned earlier, when I first learned about the raw food philosophy I felt overwhelmed by imagining how difficult the transition would be from delicious (and readily available) conventional food to a mostly raw vegan diet.  Then I realized something - I ALREADY EAT RAW FOOD - MY MORNING SMOOTHIE!!!!  Well, it was mostly raw.

What started as a Jamba Juice addiction became a morning ritual where I made a fruit smoothie for myself and my partner every morning.  True, it usually had a scoop of frozen yogurt....oh, who am I kidding?....Vanilla Ice Cream in it, but it was a step in the right direction.

After reading Raw Food, Real World, I realized that a few small changes could turn my morning smoothie into a delicious and raw way to start the day.  Instead of high fructose fruit juice (apple or orange were my favorites), I could substitute electrolyte building coconut water.  Since water isn't sweet, I could add Agave syrup.  To make it creamy I could add coconut butter or almond butter.  YUM!

This morning I made a quick and easy Cherry-Banana smoothie:
-1 bag frozen organic cherries
-2 bananas
-roughly 1.5 cups coconut water
-2 heaping teaspoons of coconut butter
-1/2 a vanilla bean
-2 tbsp raw agave syrup (I use 365 brand from Whole Foods)
-a pinch of sea salt

I took a picture for the blog, looked at the clock and realized that I was running late.  So, I poured mine out of the glass you see in the picture and into a mason jar for my commute to Brooklyn.  My partner got to enjoy his at home because he didn't have to be at work until 9:30 - the lucky duck!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks. I forgot the vanilla and it was still delicious.

    ReplyDelete