Sunday, February 28, 2010

From Desperate Housewives to My Kitchen Table


I'll be honest, I just took the culinary advice of a Desperate Housewife, and it was delicious. This month's Bon Apetit magazine featured an article about celebrity restaurateurs. In the article, Eva Longoria, who owns BESO in Los Angeles, states that she grew up on guacamole being made with fresh squeezed lemons rather than limes. She recommends that others try making it with lemons, as she can't have it any other way. So, that's exactly what I did today. I made guac with lemon juice, cherry tomatoes, cilantro, bean sprouts, red onion, garlic, salt, and a dash of hot sauce (not raw, I know). It turns out that guacamole tastes quite different this way - much lighter and fruitier. I have to say that I really like it and will probably continue to make it this way in the future. Thanks Eva!

I made some onion bread from RAWvolution and used it as a crust for Guacamole Pizzas. They were both hearty and refreshing....a nice combination, right?

8 comments:

  1. we've often done guac with lemons when out of limes. i'm too busy scarfing it down to notice a huge difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have the same recipe for onion bread in my dehydrator right now! Perhaps I'll try the lemon guac when it's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't tell Eva but I'm quite happy to eat it with lemon or lime or neither ... that said, this recipe sounds delicious ... and the onion bread looks sublime! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neither? That's madness! Still, I would have never discovered the onion bread without you Antony!

    ReplyDelete
  5. James, just so you know, next time you visit West Palm Beach - all of Hippocrates' meals are open to the public. You can do lunch or dinner any day of the week, though Wednesday is their fasting day and they offer only sprouts that day, no side dishes. Call ahead for specific times. Finally, if you frequent WPB often, consider buying Hippocrates' 20-meal plan, which makes each meal there $15 instead of $20.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you just reminded me that we need to make guac this week. our avo's are almost ready. we usually make it with whatever we have on the tree. i do have to say i prefer the taste of lemon better... less tart.
    there was a great mexican restaurant in chicago i lived near... i always ordered the avocado with salt, pepper and lemon. clean and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I nearly always use lemon, instead of lime! Love it that way :-)

    ReplyDelete